Skip to main content

So... How've You Been?

We’ve all been there before. You meet a new friend, or run into an old one at some place or another. You have a good time, share a few stories, maybe a couple of laughs, and your hopes for the future. Eventually it becomes time to part ways, and that’s when it happens. You make the inevitable promise to stay in touch. Sure, it sounds easy enough, and the words just roll off the tongue as you say, “I’ll give you a call sometime”, or “Let’s get together soon”. It’s not a lie. You mean it. We all do. In that moment we actually believe that a call will be placed at a date that is in the relatively near future. But, something happens. Time begins to go by, and that call that you meant to make, or that card that you needed to write, doesn’t quite get done. Then the pressure begins to mount. After a certain amount of time, the call you should have made, or the card you meant to write, doesn’t seem like enough effort to justify the time that it has taken to do them, so they don’t get done. After all, it is going to take something spectacular to dazzle said hypothetical friend into forgetting that so much time has gone by since your last meeting, and that fateful promise was given. The pressure continues to mount as even more time goes by, thus necessitating an even larger display of of wit and creativity, or at least a death in the family, to serve as an acceptable excuse. Yet the epiphany never comes. Nor does a family member depart. So, the call is never placed, the card is not written, and so great is your embarrassment, that you secretly hope to never run into said hypothetical friend again. We’ve all been there before. I’m actually there right now.

When last we were together, gentle reader, there were a couple of questions left hanging in the balance that I can now answer. Will the movie event of the year which is Zombies During Third Period... Again! be completed in time to premiere at Comic-Con? As you have been waiting almost a year for this answer, I will keep it simple and answer succinctly. No, is the answer. It turns out that the best movie to be made in 2010 will most likely be completed in 2011. This is due to the laws of nature which only allow 24 hours to be present in a single day. Since no large corporation or other financial benefactor could be seen coming in with buckets full of cash to free up those hours reserved for working in exchange for money to buy food, the film remains unfinished. However, the project is not lost. The director has assured me that progress is still being made (and we all know there is no stopping progress), and there is really a good chance that the film will be finished sooner rather than later. Until then, if you haven’t had a chance to see it, you can whet your appetite by watching the trailer HERE. As for Comic-Con, my eyes have yet to behold it, and all it’s geeky wonder, but alas 2011 will be a new year. Who knows what it will hold?

Also at the time of our last meeting, I had just embarked on the next leg of my journey to become a real, live, honest to goodness filmmaker. I was attempting to write my first feature length screenplay using the wisdom and guidance of the book How to Write a Movie in 21 Days. “How did that go?”, you may be asking yourself. “Did the book help you to write your first feature length screenplay”? These are great questions, gentle reader. Questions that I will happily answer... but just not right now. I will say that I was able to take the next step in my journey, but the road to becoming a real, live, honest to goodness filmmaker is a windy one and there have been a couple of twist and turns along the way. I look forward to telling you all about them. But until then, it was really good to see you again, gentle reader, we’ll have to get together again soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rolling with the Punches

So, last week I began to tell you, gentle reader, the tale of the first day of shooting on my latest film project "Relationship Rewind".  It was a tale of grand plans, and meticulous designs... which were abandoned almost immediately.  All my great ideas for cinematic lighting, stereophonic sound, and coverage of every scene from every angle, were jetisoned in the wake of people looking at me and waiting for me to get this proverbial show on the road.  I could handle this, I was just going to have to scale down my ideas, but I could keep moving forward.  Then I got hit again.

I had just completed the first few shots of a movie I had been trying to pull together for over a year and a half.  I was happy with the footage I had gotten from this first position, and it was time to move the camera.  The camera I was using is notorious for having a less than stellar battery life, so (having planed for this) I had plugged the camera into the wall, so as not to run out of battery powe…

Everybody has a Plan, until...

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson has been quoted as saying "Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face".  I'm here to tell you, it's true gentle reader.  It is true.

Yesterday was the first day of principal photography on my latest film project "Relationship Rewind".  This has been a project a long time in the making.  It took a little over a year to write the script (Not because the script took that long to write, but because there were short periods of writing in between long stretches of dreaming of what it would be like to film something I had already written).  So in short, the script took a year to write because of my old friend, procrastination.  Preproduction, or getting all the pieces into place after the script had been written, has taken a little over eighteen months.  I'm sure there was some procrastination in that time table as well, but far less than when writing the script.  As I mentioned in my last post, there were e…

Christmas Wrapping

Alas, Christmas time is nearly upon me and I don't have a single thing wrapped. This includes all of my purchases for loved ones to be opened Christmas morning, as well as the principal photography for the up and coming mega blockbuster, Zombies During Third Period... Again. Despite the best efforts by cast and crew alike, shooting on the movie is one thing that will not be wrapped in time for Christmas. I guess that Zombies really are the gift that just keep on giving. However, to say that we will not be able to finish shooting the movie on the date that has been typed on our schedule, is not to say that things are not going well. I am confident that the images that we have captured (in brilliant 24p High Definition), are going to cut together and form a picture that everyone involved will be quite proud of. And despite all indications to the contrary, we have been able to answer one of the most important questions that has been plaguing us on this shoot. "Will there …