Skip to main content

How to Write a Movie

Season's Greetings, gentle reader! As I write this, I'm hoping your Christmas was a merry one, and that your new year is poised to be full of the excitement of great things to come. It seems hard to believe that 2010, the year we make contact, is almost over. As the new year rapidly approaches it seems like a good time to reflect, and catch you up on, the last year's adventures. It seems like only yesterday that I set out to write my first feature length screenplay. However, it was in fact the second month in the year of our Lord two thousand and ten, that I sat at my desk and began to type. Come close, gentle reader, as I recount the tale of writing a movie in 21 days.

As I have mentioned before, (but since it has been quite some time I will take a moment to mention it again), I have had a revelation about myself and what I truly want from "How to" books. If I am absolutely honest with myself, and by extension, you gentle reader, every time I buy a book, I do so in the hopes that contained with in its pages is some magical formula which will enable me to crank out the perfect story that I know is deep down inside of me. Not only do I wish for the story to magically flow out of me, it is my true desire that it do so quickly. By quickly I would not be exaggerating in saying that overnight would suit me just fine. Now being a reasonable person I know, in my head at least, that this is not going to be the case. My head knows that I will need to actually read the book in order for it to do anything other than keep dust from gathering on the space it occupies on the shelf. I have further more been enlightened to discover that just reading said book will also fail to produce a screenplay. In order to write a screenplay, I would need to read a book on how to do it, then put into practice what I had read in the form of doing some actual writing. It seems like a simple concept, I know, but I can now say with a great deal of certainty, these are the steps that need to be taken to have some chance of success. I have tried the other methods extensively. They do not seem to work. It was with this concept firmly in mind that I set out to do whatever the author of How to Write a Movie in 21 Days said to do.

Upon opening the book and reading the first few pages, it became obvious that author ,Viki King, was on my side. She really believed that I could write this screenplay. If she didn't believe it, she sure knew how to fake like she did. Either way, she was very encouraging and I decided to buy in. Drink the Kool-aide? You bet, and how about another glass, cause I'm still kinda thirsty. I was on board for this experience and very hopeful that I had found the map that was going to lead me to the promised land of actually finishing a feature length screenplay. I didn't even mind that there was some work to be done before the actual "21 days" began. When it was time to read, I read. When it was time to put the book down and write, I wrote. When she asked me to roll my eyes into the backs of their sockets and flutter my eyelids so that I could picture my master piece in my head, I batted away, without the least bit of resentment for the mild headache it caused. I was a believer.

I should say at this point, I had already developed a fairly strong grasp of the story that I wanted to write. As a result, a lot of these exercises came easy to me. I wasn't making up ideas from scratch. A lot of the things she was asking me to picture, I had been picturing for a little while already. But, the time did come when I found an exercise I felt I could easily skip. However, I thought to myself, "No self. It's not fair to the process to skip any of the exercises. You want this to work, and maybe this exercise is an important part of this process. So you need to do it"! So following my own advise, (which let's face it, is not always easy to do), I counted out one hundred and twenty pieces of paper, numbered them all by hand in pencil, and stacked them up. This was all so I could visualize what my finished screenplay would look like. It took a little time, and an Oscar worthy screenplay did not magically appear on those pages, but I did feel somewhat satisfied, knowing I had completed a task I was very tempted to skip. After a few days of prep work, I had completed all the exercises and it was time for my 21 days to officially begin.

And that is where I shall leave you for now, gentle reader. Hopefully wanting more, and not having to wait too long for additional tales about my journey to become a real, live, honest to goodness filmmaker. Until then, have a wonderful and safe holiday, and I shall see you here, in the new year. (Always leave them wanting more, and if they don't want more, at least end on a rhyme).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Late Than Never

Better late than never.  It's a phrase we hear all the time.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but if I had to guess, (and since I'm the one writing this, I do), I would guess that when someone says "better late than never", they are most likely trying to by pass the guilt that tells them whatever is "late" should have been done long ago.  To this sense of guilt they reply, "Look guilt, I know I didn't do what I said I was going to do, at the time I said I was going to do it.  But look here, I did do something.  Things could be worse, you know.  I could have just not done anything.  Then where would you be?  You'd have nothing.  So why don't you just back up off me".      So, the phrase is part acknowledgement of wrong doing, and part dodging responsibility by alluding to another trademark phrase, "things could be worse".  I suppose "better late than never" could be true in certain situations, and I'm ho

The Problem of Perfection

Well, it seems like only last week that I was sitting here musing over the laws of physics and how they could effect the filmmaking process. Overcoming the inertia of sitting still and turning filmmaking dreams into filmmaking nightmares....... I mean realities, is one of the most difficult obstacles for the fledgeling filmmaker to overcome. A contributing factor to this most diabolical of phenomenon, is none other than "The Problem of Perfection". I can hear your voice even now, gentle reader. "What is this, how do you say...... problem of perfection"? Simply put, the problem of perfection comes into effect when said would be filmmaker, is paralyzed into inaction by the fear that their would be film, will not be perfect, or great, or pretty good, or even watchable. When faced with the idea of making something bad, some filmmakers will opt instead to make nothing. Such action, will in turn take away one of the key ingredients necessary to becoming a filmmaker

3 Jobs in 1

Well hello there gentle reader!  It is good to see you again here on the road to honest to goodness, real live, filmmakerville.  I'm not going to lie to you, at times it is a very lonely road, so I am quite grateful for the company.  When last we met, round the ol' proverbial campfire, I spun the yarn of how I went about casting my "no budget" film.  So after getting all the casting pieces into place, it was time to get to work and start making words printed on pieces of paper into a motion picture.  The motion picture that the world will come to know as "Wireless". It seems to me, in my somewhat limited experience, that there are three main phases to getting a film made, (after the screenplay has been written).  Phase One - Pre-Production.  As near as I can tell, this is when a lot of the decisions about the film are made.  Locations are scouted and selected.  Costumes are made or purchased.  Crew is hired.  A schedule is made.  Rehearsals with actors tak