Skip to main content

So... It's Been Awhile

Understatements.  We all make them.  I suppose it's just another way of making ourselves feel better about some truth we don't really want to admit.  After all, it is far easier to say, "Yeah, I guess I haven't been getting much exercise lately", than it is to admit the only walking that takes place is from the couch to the fridge.  Or worse, that even that level activity causes more labored breathing than one would hope to have, after taking only fifteen steps or so.  So, it is with that in mind, gentle reader, that I admit, it has been a little while since my last post.  Ok, maybe more than just "a little".

Why the long silence?  It's not that I don't miss you, or our one sided chats.  I do, and to prove it, here I am, once again placing pen to paper (or fingers to plastic keys), to resume the tale of my journey.  The journey of going from an aspiring, to a real life, honest to goodness filmmaker.  And what a journey it has been.

When we last spoke, (or I typed and you read), I was telling you all about the completion of my first feature film "Wireless".  Well, I am happy to tell you that in the four years since I released the film, it has earned a gross income that has broken the double digit mark.  Though, not particularly high in the double digits, mind you.  Truthfully, it is barely in the double digits.  The film has grossed about $12. To top it off, I'm pretty sure a good part of that $12 was a mistake on the part of someone who did not really know how to use Amazon Instant Video.

Now, I know what you're thinking, gentle reader.  You're thinking that I'm just being self deprecating, or too hard on myself.  First of all, I thank you for thinking that, but I'll tell you why I think operator error is partly responsible for my $12 windfall.  If you look at the sales statistics for "Wireless", the numbers are is flat as flat can be, with the average number of sales fluctuating slightly between zero and zero.  That's right, no sales at all.  Month after month, report after report, zero sales.  Until one day, out of the clear blue sky, "Wireless" was rented seven times and purchased once.  That is what one educated in the study of numbers, would call a statistical anomaly.  What are the odds that something which has never been rented or purchased in months of being available, would suddenly be rented seven times and purchased once in one day?  Well, I don't know what those odds would be exactly, but I am guessing that they would be very long indeed.  So what is my guess as to what happened.  Someone tried to rent the movie, and it didn't go through, or so they thought.  So they hit the rent button again.  Again, nothing SEEMED to happen, so they hit the button again, and again, and yet again, for a total of seven times.  Finally they realized it is only forty-nine cents more to buy the movie, and by now this thing  with the computer not letting them do what they wanted to do, was personal.  They were going to watch this movie if it was the last thing they did on this mortal coil, so they clicked the "buy" button.  So, "Wireless" was rented seven times, and purchased once, all in one day.  The days following that day?  The sales numbers go back to flat immediately.  There was no price reduction, no special placement of the movie to a higher profile place on the Amazon website.  Just no sales whatsoever, then seven rentals and one purchase, and back to no sales.  I guess none of us will ever know what really happened that day, but in my heart of hearts, I think some poor soul spent a little over sixteen dollars to watch something that should have cost them two fifty.  I really hope they liked the movie.

So that, brings us up to date on the tale that is the making of "Wireless".  How it was made, where it could be bought, and who actually bought it. But don't worry, gentle reader, the road to real life, honest to goodness, filmmaker status is a long one.  There are many twists and turns up ahead, and many more tales to be told.  If you are willing to read them, I will do my best to write them.  I hope to see you in a little while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Late Than Never

Better late than never.  It's a phrase we hear all the time.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but if I had to guess, (and since I'm the one writing this, I do), I would guess that when someone says "better late than never", they are most likely trying to by pass the guilt that tells them whatever is "late" should have been done long ago.  To this sense of guilt they reply, "Look guilt, I know I didn't do what I said I was going to do, at the time I said I was going to do it.  But look here, I did do something.  Things could be worse, you know.  I could have just not done anything.  Then where would you be?  You'd have nothing.  So why don't you just back up off me".      So, the phrase is part acknowledgement of wrong doing, and part dodging responsibility by alluding to another trademark phrase, "things could be worse".  I suppose "better late than never" could be true in certain situations, and I'm ho

The Problem of Perfection

Well, it seems like only last week that I was sitting here musing over the laws of physics and how they could effect the filmmaking process. Overcoming the inertia of sitting still and turning filmmaking dreams into filmmaking nightmares....... I mean realities, is one of the most difficult obstacles for the fledgeling filmmaker to overcome. A contributing factor to this most diabolical of phenomenon, is none other than "The Problem of Perfection". I can hear your voice even now, gentle reader. "What is this, how do you say...... problem of perfection"? Simply put, the problem of perfection comes into effect when said would be filmmaker, is paralyzed into inaction by the fear that their would be film, will not be perfect, or great, or pretty good, or even watchable. When faced with the idea of making something bad, some filmmakers will opt instead to make nothing. Such action, will in turn take away one of the key ingredients necessary to becoming a filmmaker

3 Jobs in 1

Well hello there gentle reader!  It is good to see you again here on the road to honest to goodness, real live, filmmakerville.  I'm not going to lie to you, at times it is a very lonely road, so I am quite grateful for the company.  When last we met, round the ol' proverbial campfire, I spun the yarn of how I went about casting my "no budget" film.  So after getting all the casting pieces into place, it was time to get to work and start making words printed on pieces of paper into a motion picture.  The motion picture that the world will come to know as "Wireless". It seems to me, in my somewhat limited experience, that there are three main phases to getting a film made, (after the screenplay has been written).  Phase One - Pre-Production.  As near as I can tell, this is when a lot of the decisions about the film are made.  Locations are scouted and selected.  Costumes are made or purchased.  Crew is hired.  A schedule is made.  Rehearsals with actors tak