Skip to main content

All Your Questions will be Answered

It's no secret, to those who know me.  I spend some time in front of the television.  Well, maybe more than just "some".  Many people would probably look at my definition of "some" and redefine it as "a lot".  In a culture where the average person watches approximately four hours of television a day, I can honestly say, I'm above average.  Which is almost always a good thing to be able to say, right?  Truth be told, I enjoys me some TV, but I won't watch just anything.  I have to be drawn in by either the story, or by the characters.  There was one show, in particular, that drew me in.  It had all the makings of a great story.  There was a plane crash, a tropical island with polar bears, some sort of smoke monster, and people who were once in wheelchairs could walk again.  Week after week I would watch this show and get more and more drawn in, as more and more mysterious things began to happen.  After a few years there were those that became disillusioned with the program.  Things weren't making sense, new characters seemed to appear from nowhere.  Old characters, who were supposed to be very important, were no longer on the show, with no mention as to why they were supposed to be so important.  The smoke monster made clicking noises.  People became frustrated, but I hung in there and kept on watching.  Why?  Because of one promise the show kept making.  All of your questions will be answered.  Since week one, all of the actors promoting the show claimed that the writers had a plan.  Everything would make sense, eventually.  So I watched.  Week after week, year after year, until six years had passed.  Finally, it was time for the show to end, and after six years of flash backs, flash forwards, and flash sideways, they basically said, "weird stuff just seems to happen here".

I must tell you, gentle reader, I was not happy.  I felt that I had invested a great deal of time over the last six years, and the payoff was quite low.  The writers didn't answer all of the questions, and a lot of the questions they did answer only lead to bigger questions.  As a faithful viewer, I felt that I had been strung along and lied to.  I had been promised that all my questions would be answered, and they were not.  Shame on you writers, shame on you.

Well, they say that whenever you point your finger at someone, there are always three fingers pointed back at you.  That is the case here.  It occurs to me that over the time I have written this blog there have been several events that I have written about, that I have not brought to a satisfactory conclusion.  In order to escape some of the shame I so freely cast about at others, I thought I should answer any questions before moving forward.

So, what happened with that zombie movie you were working on, and did it ever get into Comic-Con?

I am pleased to announce that the genre redefining mega blockbuster "Zombies During Third Period...Again!" was in fact completed.  It had a very successful home town screening at the State Theater in Modesto, with all primary cast,  and writer/director , Neal Barlow, in attendance as well as a full crowd of over two hundred movie goers.  To see the trailer, read more about the final film, or even pick up a copy on DVD or Blu-ray, just go ahead and click right HERE.

In my earlier writings about the film, I had told you that "Zombies" had not been completed in time to submit to Comic-Con 2010.  But what about Comic-Con 2011?  Well. let me put your troubled mind to rest and tell you, the film did get completed in time to submit to Comic-Con 2011 and was sent off to the selection committee.  After having seen the finished film, my hopes were very high that the month of July would find me in San Diego getting my "geek" on in a major way.  I thought that there was very little chance that we would not selected.  I suppose that is the kind of confidence one should have about their work, but I am sorry to report that the selection committee, became more of a rejection committee for "Zombies".  "Zombies" was not chosen to be a part of the 2011 Comic-Con Independent Movie Festival, and my dream of walking down isle after isle packed with wonders too great to be spoken, remains just that, a dream.  Next question.

I see that you finished your film, but what happened with the "Big Break" contest?  Did you finish your film in time?

That's a good question, gentle reader, but alas we are out of time.  So let me encourage you to tune in next week, when I can promise you, all of your questions will be answered!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Late Than Never

Better late than never.  It's a phrase we hear all the time.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but if I had to guess, (and since I'm the one writing this, I do), I would guess that when someone says "better late than never", they are most likely trying to by pass the guilt that tells them whatever is "late" should have been done long ago.  To this sense of guilt they reply, "Look guilt, I know I didn't do what I said I was going to do, at the time I said I was going to do it.  But look here, I did do something.  Things could be worse, you know.  I could have just not done anything.  Then where would you be?  You'd have nothing.  So why don't you just back up off me".      So, the phrase is part acknowledgement of wrong doing, and part dodging responsibility by alluding to another trademark phrase, "things could be worse".  I suppose "better late than never" could be true in certain situations, and I'm ho

The Problem of Perfection

Well, it seems like only last week that I was sitting here musing over the laws of physics and how they could effect the filmmaking process. Overcoming the inertia of sitting still and turning filmmaking dreams into filmmaking nightmares....... I mean realities, is one of the most difficult obstacles for the fledgeling filmmaker to overcome. A contributing factor to this most diabolical of phenomenon, is none other than "The Problem of Perfection". I can hear your voice even now, gentle reader. "What is this, how do you say...... problem of perfection"? Simply put, the problem of perfection comes into effect when said would be filmmaker, is paralyzed into inaction by the fear that their would be film, will not be perfect, or great, or pretty good, or even watchable. When faced with the idea of making something bad, some filmmakers will opt instead to make nothing. Such action, will in turn take away one of the key ingredients necessary to becoming a filmmaker

3 Jobs in 1

Well hello there gentle reader!  It is good to see you again here on the road to honest to goodness, real live, filmmakerville.  I'm not going to lie to you, at times it is a very lonely road, so I am quite grateful for the company.  When last we met, round the ol' proverbial campfire, I spun the yarn of how I went about casting my "no budget" film.  So after getting all the casting pieces into place, it was time to get to work and start making words printed on pieces of paper into a motion picture.  The motion picture that the world will come to know as "Wireless". It seems to me, in my somewhat limited experience, that there are three main phases to getting a film made, (after the screenplay has been written).  Phase One - Pre-Production.  As near as I can tell, this is when a lot of the decisions about the film are made.  Locations are scouted and selected.  Costumes are made or purchased.  Crew is hired.  A schedule is made.  Rehearsals with actors tak