Skip to main content

Sea Cows in the Mirror

I can well remember one of my all time favorite bits done by comedian Dennis Miller. It was a part of his opening monologue on his HBO talk show. The topic of this particular show was overeating in the American culture. Without wanting to get on a "rant", the phrase which would proceed every rant in his monologue, Miller talked about how super sizing, extra large portions, and the ready availabilities of Cinnabon in this country, were causing the population of this great nation of ours to have increasingly generous portions themselves. Of course, the people themselves were unaware of the effects of their over indulgence. Until one day while walking in the mall they happen to catch a glimpse of themselves in a full length mirror and think, "Well, that's odd. Not only has that sea cow learned to walk around upright, but it's wearing the exact same clothes that I put on this morning". I laughed and laughed. It's a good bit. Bravo, Mr. Miller, bravo indeed. Well just today, I was editing some of the behind the scenes footage from the upcoming mega hit Zombies During Third Period... Again, and I saw myself in some of the footage. I'm not laughing anymore.

To be honest, gentle reader, there were a couple of things wrong with that picture. First, and most obviously, was seeing someone who looked a lot like me, but who also looked as if they had eaten me. There is no way that just one of me should be taking up all the space that the person I saw on tape occupying. When I dream of becoming a real live, honest to goodness filmmaker, all of those dreams include a perfect me. In my mind's eye, as I'm strolling down the red carpet, I don't dream of my need for a walker because my knees can no longer support the weight that is me. I dream that I am in the shape of my life. After all, it's a dream that I wish to come true, why cloud the issue with realism? However, seeing myself in a fat suit, minus the fat suit, is not the worst part of what I have allowed to, (or have actively participated in making) happen to myself. Far more alarming than my need to work on multiple facets of myself to make my dreams come true, is my increasing inability to work towards those dreams. During the last week I have felt tired, all the time. It's hard to push ahead, and blaze trails, when deep down inside you just wish that someone would declare that it's officially nap time. With the deadline to enter the film into Comic Con drawing closer by the day, the cast and crew of Zombies has really stepped up in an effort to make the deadline. I find that I am struggling a bit to keep up the pace. Now, when running down school hallways, pushing a camera rig in front of young people almost twenty years my junior, I expect to be tired. But, when kids are asking me if I am trying to show them the perfect Zombie shuffle, and I'm just walking to the next location, I know that something is, how do you say... amiss. For the first time in my life, I'm finding I may have to start exercising and eating better, just to make it through the day and still be standing at the end of it. Who knew that in order to pursue something as outrageous as becoming a real live, honest to goodness filmmaker, one would have to do things as practical and ordinary as eat right, go to bed at a decent hour, and get a little exercise from time to time. As unbelievable as it may have seemed at the time, it turns out, Mom knew what she was talking about after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Late Than Never

Better late than never.  It's a phrase we hear all the time.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but if I had to guess, (and since I'm the one writing this, I do), I would guess that when someone says "better late than never", they are most likely trying to by pass the guilt that tells them whatever is "late" should have been done long ago.  To this sense of guilt they reply, "Look guilt, I know I didn't do what I said I was going to do, at the time I said I was going to do it.  But look here, I did do something.  Things could be worse, you know.  I could have just not done anything.  Then where would you be?  You'd have nothing.  So why don't you just back up off me".      So, the phrase is part acknowledgement of wrong doing, and part dodging responsibility by alluding to another trademark phrase, "things could be worse".  I suppose "better late than never" could be true in certain situations, and I'm ho

The Problem of Perfection

Well, it seems like only last week that I was sitting here musing over the laws of physics and how they could effect the filmmaking process. Overcoming the inertia of sitting still and turning filmmaking dreams into filmmaking nightmares....... I mean realities, is one of the most difficult obstacles for the fledgeling filmmaker to overcome. A contributing factor to this most diabolical of phenomenon, is none other than "The Problem of Perfection". I can hear your voice even now, gentle reader. "What is this, how do you say...... problem of perfection"? Simply put, the problem of perfection comes into effect when said would be filmmaker, is paralyzed into inaction by the fear that their would be film, will not be perfect, or great, or pretty good, or even watchable. When faced with the idea of making something bad, some filmmakers will opt instead to make nothing. Such action, will in turn take away one of the key ingredients necessary to becoming a filmmaker

3 Jobs in 1

Well hello there gentle reader!  It is good to see you again here on the road to honest to goodness, real live, filmmakerville.  I'm not going to lie to you, at times it is a very lonely road, so I am quite grateful for the company.  When last we met, round the ol' proverbial campfire, I spun the yarn of how I went about casting my "no budget" film.  So after getting all the casting pieces into place, it was time to get to work and start making words printed on pieces of paper into a motion picture.  The motion picture that the world will come to know as "Wireless". It seems to me, in my somewhat limited experience, that there are three main phases to getting a film made, (after the screenplay has been written).  Phase One - Pre-Production.  As near as I can tell, this is when a lot of the decisions about the film are made.  Locations are scouted and selected.  Costumes are made or purchased.  Crew is hired.  A schedule is made.  Rehearsals with actors tak