Skip to main content

I See Dead People

The road to becoming a real live, honest to goodness filmmaker can often seem like a lonely one. To many people, the idea of making a film, writing a book, recording a CD, or most other artistic endeavors for that matter, seems like a magical process that only certain people with certain magical skills can achieve. As a result, when the aspiring filmmaker tells those around him about his aspiring dream, many people don't know how to react. Some furrow their brow in genuine confusion. "You want to what?......... Make a film you say? Are you allowed to do that"? Other people laugh. Not because they are trying to crush one's spirit, but because they think that said one, must be joking. Others who might have been tempted to laugh, but can tell by the now struggling filmmaker's face that this is not in fact a laughing matter, will just nod and say how interesting that is before quickly changing the subject. It is not that those around the budding filmmaker have decided they will become the gatekeepers of happiness and the crushers of dreams, they just don't understand. Recording artists, authors, and filmmakers are all famous people, and I, gentle reader, am not famous. So, in their minds they think "How could he possibly become a filmmaker? He's just..... well, him". Most folks don't take the time to think that Steven Spielberg is just little Stevie from down the street to someone. Most forget that he too picked up a camera for the first time, with no idea how to use it. So when faced with the idea of someone they know reaching for what seem to be impossible heights, they are unsure of how to respond. The result can often be a sense of isolation for the filmmaker to be. Some, when faced with this isolation, give up their dream and take up a new dream of being an accountant (and probably make more in a year than I have in the last three). Others decide to go it alone. The lone wolf. El Lobo Solo.

Since the road from aspiring filmmaker to actual filmmaker can be a lonely one, when I was given the opportunity to help my friend with his latest film project, I jumped on board. As you well know gentle reader, getting started can often be one of the most difficult obstacles for me. Here was a project that was written and ready to go. A chance to be behind the camera with actors in front of it, saying lines and being recorded. Sounds a lot like movie making to me. This represented a chance for me to stop dreaming about shooting a project, and actually go help shoot a project. While the project is not my own, and the name read following "and the Oscar goes to......" will not be mine, it does feel good to be working on something tangible. Working with someone who shares a similar dream and faces the same odds. It feels good to have a little company on the road less traveled. So gentle reader, that is how I came to find myself working on the set of the moving picture, with the working title, Zombies during third period..... Again!

Comments

  1. Lights, Camera . . . Action! It's the action part that will get and keep people believing, because you create great stuff. Keep the camera in Action. It will be fun to see your camera work on Third Period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem with action is, it takes so much effort! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think Zombie's will turn out pretty well and do all parties involved proud. Stay tuned, there is more to follow gent..... I mean, voracious reader!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rolling with the Punches

So, last week I began to tell you, gentle reader, the tale of the first day of shooting on my latest film project "Relationship Rewind".  It was a tale of grand plans, and meticulous designs... which were abandoned almost immediately.  All my great ideas for cinematic lighting, stereophonic sound, and coverage of every scene from every angle, were jetisoned in the wake of people looking at me and waiting for me to get this proverbial show on the road.  I could handle this, I was just going to have to scale down my ideas, but I could keep moving forward.  Then I got hit again.

I had just completed the first few shots of a movie I had been trying to pull together for over a year and a half.  I was happy with the footage I had gotten from this first position, and it was time to move the camera.  The camera I was using is notorious for having a less than stellar battery life, so (having planed for this) I had plugged the camera into the wall, so as not to run out of battery powe…

Everybody has a Plan, until...

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson has been quoted as saying "Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face".  I'm here to tell you, it's true gentle reader.  It is true.

Yesterday was the first day of principal photography on my latest film project "Relationship Rewind".  This has been a project a long time in the making.  It took a little over a year to write the script (Not because the script took that long to write, but because there were short periods of writing in between long stretches of dreaming of what it would be like to film something I had already written).  So in short, the script took a year to write because of my old friend, procrastination.  Preproduction, or getting all the pieces into place after the script had been written, has taken a little over eighteen months.  I'm sure there was some procrastination in that time table as well, but far less than when writing the script.  As I mentioned in my last post, there were e…

Christmas Wrapping

Alas, Christmas time is nearly upon me and I don't have a single thing wrapped. This includes all of my purchases for loved ones to be opened Christmas morning, as well as the principal photography for the up and coming mega blockbuster, Zombies During Third Period... Again. Despite the best efforts by cast and crew alike, shooting on the movie is one thing that will not be wrapped in time for Christmas. I guess that Zombies really are the gift that just keep on giving. However, to say that we will not be able to finish shooting the movie on the date that has been typed on our schedule, is not to say that things are not going well. I am confident that the images that we have captured (in brilliant 24p High Definition), are going to cut together and form a picture that everyone involved will be quite proud of. And despite all indications to the contrary, we have been able to answer one of the most important questions that has been plaguing us on this shoot. "Will there …