Skip to main content

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

As Frankie Laine sat, putting pen to paper, telling the tale of what it was like to herd cattle across the open plains, I doubt that he had the art of filmmaking in mind. However, that doesn't mean there isn't something to be learned from his old west ballad /theme song. To use another old west phrase, "There's gold in them there..... song".

As I continue on my journey to become an honest to goodness, real live filmmaker, I have noticed that I often fall victim to the laws of physics. To make matters worse, you and I both know, gentle reader, you cannot change the laws of physics. Scottie said it all the time to Captain Kirk on Star Trek, so you know it has to be true. "What laws of physics?", you might ask. "And what does that have to do with driving cattle"? Good questions all, gentle reader. Let me explain. To date, the largest obstacle that I have had to overcome in my journey to become a honest to goodness, real live filmmaker is my own inertia. Webster's Dictionary defines inertia thusly, "a property of matter by which it continues in its existing state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless that state is changed by an external force." In other words, an aspiring filmmaker at rest, will tend to stay at rest until he is prodded off his backside into action by some outside force. This can be a serious problem. The reason being, at this level of filmmaking (i.e. a guy with a camcorder, computer, and delusions of grandeur) there is very little in the way of any kind of outside force to get one moving. No production meeting to prepare for, no movie stars to get scripts to, no deadline for any drafts, and no foreseeable paycheck anywhere near anything that could even be described as a horizon. No outside force is coming to push the dream forward, it is entirely up to the aspiring filmmaker to keep moving. Unfortunately, just as there are few outside forces to get a stalled filmmaker moving, there seem to be an infinite supply of forces to slow a moving filmmaker down. Silly things, like rent, the need to eat, and the annoyance of trying to keep warm in the winter. So how does one ever become an honest to goodness real live filmmaker when faced with the Mr. Scott proclaimed unchangeable laws of physics? Simple, just keep rollin', rollin', rollin'.

Comments

  1. You can't mix matter and antimatter cold; or can you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I can, but maybe someone smarter than me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Better Late Than Never

Better late than never.  It's a phrase we hear all the time.  I have no idea if it's true or not, but if I had to guess, (and since I'm the one writing this, I do), I would guess that when someone says "better late than never", they are most likely trying to by pass the guilt that tells them whatever is "late" should have been done long ago.  To this sense of guilt they reply, "Look guilt, I know I didn't do what I said I was going to do, at the time I said I was going to do it.  But look here, I did do something.  Things could be worse, you know.  I could have just not done anything.  Then where would you be?  You'd have nothing.  So why don't you just back up off me".      So, the phrase is part acknowledgement of wrong doing, and part dodging responsibility by alluding to another trademark phrase, "things could be worse".  I suppose "better late than never" could be true in certain situations, and I'm ho

The Problem of Perfection

Well, it seems like only last week that I was sitting here musing over the laws of physics and how they could effect the filmmaking process. Overcoming the inertia of sitting still and turning filmmaking dreams into filmmaking nightmares....... I mean realities, is one of the most difficult obstacles for the fledgeling filmmaker to overcome. A contributing factor to this most diabolical of phenomenon, is none other than "The Problem of Perfection". I can hear your voice even now, gentle reader. "What is this, how do you say...... problem of perfection"? Simply put, the problem of perfection comes into effect when said would be filmmaker, is paralyzed into inaction by the fear that their would be film, will not be perfect, or great, or pretty good, or even watchable. When faced with the idea of making something bad, some filmmakers will opt instead to make nothing. Such action, will in turn take away one of the key ingredients necessary to becoming a filmmaker

3 Jobs in 1

Well hello there gentle reader!  It is good to see you again here on the road to honest to goodness, real live, filmmakerville.  I'm not going to lie to you, at times it is a very lonely road, so I am quite grateful for the company.  When last we met, round the ol' proverbial campfire, I spun the yarn of how I went about casting my "no budget" film.  So after getting all the casting pieces into place, it was time to get to work and start making words printed on pieces of paper into a motion picture.  The motion picture that the world will come to know as "Wireless". It seems to me, in my somewhat limited experience, that there are three main phases to getting a film made, (after the screenplay has been written).  Phase One - Pre-Production.  As near as I can tell, this is when a lot of the decisions about the film are made.  Locations are scouted and selected.  Costumes are made or purchased.  Crew is hired.  A schedule is made.  Rehearsals with actors tak